Working with a client today, the problem reported was “I deleted a domain trust and domain over a week ago, yet it persists/exists in ‘Domains and Trusts” still. Help!
We went through the motions he pointed out that he had already done of
- Can’t remove it from the GUI (in Domains and Trusts) with the error “a trusted-domain object cannot be found for the trust to domain”
- Can’t find it in NTDSUTIL, so can’t delete it there either using this Microsoft KB Article
- Can’t delete with NETDOM using this syntax either:
netdom trust domain.com /Domain:orphaneddomain.com /Oneside:trusted /remove /force
A quick Google suggested a theme of…
- It seems to go away after a few days (?)
- Rebooting the Domain Controller with the PDC Emulator role solves the problem (which is probably what happened with #1, for those dudes
We rebooted the PDC Emulator and sure enough the domain was gone when it returned. Well, that was easy (if not a little lame). Appears the PDC Emulator caches stuff. Bad PDC Emulator. Bad.