I received an amazing parting gift from itgroove to thank me for my four years of service – they gave me my Surface Pro 3 device. (I know!)
They kindly formatted the machine so I’d have a fresh start. Today, I powered on the device, and started with setting up my device to be a workstation again. I realized in hindsight that I should of done the typical “Kelly thing” and created a thorough checklist of all the programs and settings I had customized over the years to setup the device.
Here is my personal list of the top 12 recommendations I’d suggest to a user to setup, download, or install to get going:
- Setup the Windows 10 operating system.
- Setup the OneNote App for Windows 10.
- The Windows 10 operating system comes with the OneNote App so that was the first App I logged into with my Microsoft account so I could access my notes, links, and passwords.
- Setup Edge browser.
- Download Chrome browser
- This is the browser I prefer to use – especially because of it’s People feature.
- Use the Chrome browser instructions to set it as your default browser.
- Setup a second People profile in Chrome to keep my Microsoft Account (outlook.com) and my Office 365 Account (oh365eh) separate.
- Login to Microsoft Office 365 to set your time zone and download the Office 2016 software.
- Install TechSmith Snagit 13 Screen Capture Software & Screen Recorder
- Did you know that you can use Snagit to create GIFS!
- Install TechSmith Camtasia Video Editor & Video Editing Software
- Why tell someone with typed words when you can show them with a video.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DX
- Change your default PDF reader program to Adobe from Edge.
- Install the “OneNote Web Clipper” add-in extension into Chrome.
- This add-in is best for clipping full articles.
- Install the “Send to OneNote” add-in extension for Chrome.
- This add-in is best for small snippets of text.
- Install Spotify digital music service.
- Access and stream millions of songs while you work.
What tip would you add to this list?